Skip to main content

I'm a Pizza


I've been missing on my new blog. The everyday posting thing hasn't worked out for me. But on the other hand, I have been working on a new novel. So it's coffee with Nigel the character in my story that takes flight.

I also visit Facebook with my coffee. A stalker of other lives. Is there inspiration to be found? A favorite shop posting a photo of an antique I can't live without. If so, I watch the clock until 10 am when most shops open and make a quick call. "How much? Yes. Perfect. Here is my charge card. I'll be in later today to pick it up."

Lately, I wake up in the morning, fear at my heart, as I ask myself a simple question. "Did I buy anything online last night?" Like a drunk on a binge, I am out of control at 2 am, up on Etsy, clicking the 'put in your cart' button. I have a thing for jewelry with old tintypes of turn of the century people. "Dead People" I call the creations with photos dangling from chains of pearls, rhinestones, vintage beads. Most friends love my jewelry, some cringe at the term I use to describe them. "There is a distinction," I shake my head as I explain my passion for these pieces. "The people are dead now. They were very much alive when photographed." Makes sense to me. My collection is growing. I feel a kindred spirit to some of the ladies I wear around my neck. You don't land there unless there is a connection between us, the photo speaks to me, even if the subject can't.

So what does all this have to do with the quote above? I found it on Facebook and it struck a cord with me. I've been thinking too much about Pizza. Eating pizza out with friends and popping a frozen pizza in the oven. Pizza leads to Mexican food, which leads to French fries, which takes me in a downward spiral of eating all the wrong foods. My fascination with Pizza has put weight on me. A normally chunky ball of fun, I now feel my energy zapped, and my blood pressure up.

The quote also took me in many directions. I live like I have a get out of jail free card. I can't motivate myself to do the right thing to feel better. It is time to get control and make myself feel better.

A million excuses come to mind. Most of all, my hip surgeries. The fact I still use a cane is no reason to walk into Applebee's and order the Quesadilla burger.

The biggest question I ask myself is "Can I do it?" Can I shift my eating habits for a day. One day. Baby steps. Then the next day. I look in my fridge and see only English muffins. "Tomorrow." That is my answer. I will go to the grocery story tomorrow and buy the right foods.

I've been here before, but at a younger age. Low carbs worked for me. That is how I plan to go this time, too. Last time I felt wonderful. More energy and I lost weight without starving myself. Perhaps it will work again.

If I work again at it.

The fridge had the same English muffin this morning. I zapped my water in the microwave to fix a cup of Folger's instant coffee. Then I saw the small box of eggs I bought, still within the date of freshness, and pulled it out. I tossed a few eggs in a bowl and zapped them for a minute in the microwave, too. Topped with a bit of cheese. Followed by a small can of tuna. Disgusting. But I am full. And I took my first baby step. My next step will be to the grocery store to buy low carb foods so my menu will be a bit more appetizing.

Know anyone who wants a few frozen pizzas? I need to get that temptation out of the house!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day Two Quotes And A Little Pixie Dust

No hazelnut creamer in my coffee this morning. Life is sweet enough. A few weeks ago I made a promise to myself. No more complaining. No more 'what ifs'. No more waiting to move forward. So many things happened in the last year and a half that slowed me down, made me question who I was and what would I do for the rest of my life. Those thoughts kept me bogged down. Don't worry about the rest of your life, worry about today, became my new mantra. And things started happening. Good things, great things. The reason I moved from my home of thirty years to a small community an hour away - change. I needed change. My old life was good, but I wanted more. The house of my dreams, a chance to jump start my creative juices, and find my biggest adventure yet. You know, I am not a traveler, I am a nester, so that big adventure I want will still be outside my front door. Only this time my door is hinged to a wonderful renovated 1906 Victorian bungalow with sweet gardens, tall c

Which Came First The Chicken or The Egg

I am happy to report I have stayed on my diet since my last post. Eggs for breakfast and some chicken for dinner, or lunch, or in between. Last night could have been my demise thanks to a no-carb fried pork rinds. Munching happily away a tiny little crumb landed in my throat the wrong way. I choked and coughed and then repeated the same for at least an hour. Now I know why my little Chi Chloe kept coughing after her kibble caught in her throat as she tried to avoid another of the pack eating her food. It hurts. It doesn't go away quickly. But it did, and I am hear to moan about the loss of bread and cake in my life. Seriously, I feel pretty good. I am not weighing, but I have a doctor's appointment to check my blood pressure today. We'll see if my choices to lower my weight have raised my blood pressure. Don't care. I am on this diet to see if I can sustain and drop a few pounds. I don't want to be a skinny me, just a healthier me with less fat on my hip