Skip to main content

The Antique Dealer Is On The Move


My latest purchases. Two wonderful parson chairs covered very romantically in burlap and lace. Moving into my new antique booth today and these will set the tone for the look I want.


Writer, jewelry designer, sometimes antique dealer, dog hoarder. Love to use that slogan on my business cards for my writing life. Today the sometimes antique dealer is upcycling to antique dealer. Taking the sometimes out of the equation. I. Will. Be. Selling. Furniture. Again. Starting today.

I've had, and still will have, a lovely spot at Antiques In Old Town, in Lilburn, Georgia, one of my favorite spots to shop and lunch with my friends there. I sell jewelry, vintage and gently used pieces I can't stop from buying wherever I stop on days I need my 'fix'.  Furniture has been on the back burner because of my hip issues, and the fact I am now a wimp who can't lift heavy stuff.

A visit to Madison the other week put me back in my furniture game. I am moving into a tiny little nook at Madison Markets with furniture. Woo Hoo.  The two chairs above called to me yesterday. We're perfect for your new booth. I swear I heard them speak. And because I am the worst business person in the world, I thought, Hey, if they don't sell, they will fit right in my lovely dining room with the six foot farm table and other white chairs.

I wish I didn't love furniture as much as I do. It's a curse. I make a room lovely then find just one more thing. That desire to hunt treasures many moons ago turned me into an antique dealer. Not a truly professional one. My mind is always on the buying, not so much the selling. And I am known to lower prices so I can go back out and buy more.

I thought this silliness had stopped. But no. I have more furniture than my cottage can hold, even after rehoming many wonderful things during my move. And I am still shopping.

Excited to be part of the Madison Market. It is less than twenty minutes from my new little town. Some place close to me I can visit without driving the hour plus I do to reconnect with my old haunts. I want something to ground me closer to home, and this is it!

 Have a plan today to make the nook pop! We'll see. The chairs are tucked in my van and have been since I purchased them. Afraid if I bring them in they won't leave. Put on your big girl bloomers, I tell myself. I. Am. An. Antique. Dealer.  One that sells furniture again.

I can hoard dogs but I need to sell the goods I buy.

Sipping my coffee this morning I tell myself to stay with the plan!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm a Pizza

I've been missing on my new blog. The everyday posting thing hasn't worked out for me. But on the other hand, I have been working on a new novel. So it's coffee with Nigel the character in my story that takes flight. I also visit Facebook with my coffee. A stalker of other lives. Is there inspiration to be found? A favorite shop posting a photo of an antique I can't live without. If so, I watch the clock until 10 am when most shops open and make a quick call. "How much? Yes. Perfect. Here is my charge card. I'll be in later today to pick it up." Lately, I wake up in the morning, fear at my heart, as I ask myself a simple question. "Did I buy anything online last night?" Like a drunk on a binge, I am out of control at 2 am, up on Etsy, clicking the 'put in your cart' button. I have a thing for jewelry with old tintypes of turn of the century people. "Dead People" I call the creations with photos dangling from chains of pea...

Ants In Your Pants Better Than Ants On Your Doughnut

Read With Caution - You May Never Eat Doughnuts Again (And yes, this is my second random thought today. But it had to be shared in the moment!)     My cup of instant Folgers's coffee, complete with Hazelnut creamer, and, an extra special treat, artificial sweetener, (do I love my poison, or what?) stared at me from my desk as I brought in my morning e-mails. Hungry, but too lazy to whip up bacon and a bagel, I remembered the box of doughnuts I purchased yesterday at Kroger. Nice, plump, chewy cake doughnuts. 4 to a box. $1 a box. I used restraint and only bought one box.   Lovingly looking at them late last night, I held off eating one. I knew once I ate one, the other three would follow. What a tasty little breakfast this will be , I thought as I swatted a sugar ant that crawled in my white porcelain sink. Knowing the ants were on a slow move back into my kitchen, I took the sealed box of doughnuts and safely put the box on top of the jar (also sealed) t...

Christmas Blues

  Lots of good things happening in my life, yet my heart is heavy. A sadness washes over me that I try to explain. To myself, mostly. Then I think, maybe it's that time of year, the holidays approaching. Or maybe my new blood pressure medicine is pulling me down. Then there is my hip that still gives me trouble after surgery a year and a half ago. So many excuses. Real or imagined? I am never sure what I think I am missing or what is causing my blues. I want that spark of joy, of hope, to rekindle. I want to set the world on fire, not the entire world, just my little space in it. In an hour, when I start my day and head out, I will feel the lightness of life around me filling me with hope. But, sitting at home, surrounded with my dogs that are the happiness gurus, I still feel that void.   My beautiful house needs more life in it, I tell myself. A huge dining room with eleven foot ceilings and a six foot farm table, await dinner guests I never invite. Friends would com...