Skip to main content

Day One With Coffee


My morning routine is always the same. The dogs want out by 8am. We have been in the bedroom since the night before, a small dog gate blocking the way so a stray pooch cannot stroll to the kitchen and pee. My feet hit the floor and three dogs dash to the gate, tails wagging, bodies wiggling, ready to run down the hallway to the back door. April in Paris and Bray bark with their loud irritating voices, letting me know they want biscuits as well as a chance to do their business. Chloe dances in circles, her leopard print dress with the red ruffles twirling around her tail. It is bedlam. They are excited because I've called out, in my sweetest morning voice, “Let’s go pee pee.” It sounds like a treat about to happen. Three dogs rush to the back door where I quickly open it and slam it behind them. April always tries to turn and come back in. A smart girl, she knows I've lied about food. Bray and Chloe know what to do and go do it.

    Two dogs still lie in bed. (It is sleeping dogs lie, right?). Rascal has to ease out of bed. She is not a morning gal, kind of like me. She stretches her fat roly poly body, white with black polka dots splattered over her pink belly, and begs for a rub. Only then, after she has had her way with my hand, will she sit up, head to the foot of the bed, jump to the needlepoint bench, and run to the back door. Rascal is the butterball dog, round and overweight at 40 pounds. Her front legs splay out like a ballerina doing a plie. One blue eye and one brown eye stare at you as if to put you under her spell. An adorable tomboy, she knows how to work it. I open the door, she races out to the back yard, way beyond the others now milling about by the patio. Once again, I slam the green Victorian door and head back to the bedroom.

     Bertha sits staring from the floor. A big girl, chunky at 75 pounds. Her long face begs to be kissed, but she sometimes snaps, so kisses wait. Bertha is my low-rider. A Bassett and goodness knows what mix. She doesn’t have Betty Davis eyes, but my bet is a little pitty had his way with her mother. If she is not happy her eyes express the power behind her jaw. She is a good girl, but as I feel about all dogs, don’t take it for granted they will always do the right thing. I tap my foot, letting her know I am Alpha. She perks up, that tan and white body and thick paws, gallop to the back door. Kerplunk. She has a heavy step. Her look tells me I am ready. The door opened, Bertha takes her time, easing down the three brick steps to the patio. Wham. I slam the door shut. Five faces eagerly watch me. Where is breakfast? I know they are thinking it. Where is my coffee? I definitely need my blast of caffeine.

     Instant coffee. For a coffee addict I am the laziest gal around. Folger’s Instant. Quite tasty. I fill my lovely white Ironstone cup with tap water, place it in the microwave, hit beverage, and within a minute I have the hot water needed. A large scoop of crystalized coffee (about a big teaspoon full) drops into the hot water, and on days I feel adventurous, I sprinkle dry Hazelnut creamer into the mixture. Cup in hand I head to the computer.

     As a writer, I have become lazy. Where are the days of sitting up until 3am sipping port, writing away until I can’t think anymore? I don’t have a designated time to write. I wing it. Mornings find me on Facebook, Pinterest, back to Facebook, then letting the dogs in and feeding them. All followed by a quick nap back in my bed, surrounded by five dogs, unless I have to be somewhere early in the day.

     I’ve decided that someplace to be is here. At my computer. Drinking my coffee. Sharing random thoughts that I don’t write about any place else. Nothing heavy, no politics, just the simple things that fill me with joy, promises I make myself, and maybe a little bit of the blues, either in decorating or mood. Short, long, picture only, who knows what my morning thought will be. This is a blog for myself, but if you find it and decided you like it, well come join me. It’s nice to share coffee with a friend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm a Pizza

I've been missing on my new blog. The everyday posting thing hasn't worked out for me. But on the other hand, I have been working on a new novel. So it's coffee with Nigel the character in my story that takes flight. I also visit Facebook with my coffee. A stalker of other lives. Is there inspiration to be found? A favorite shop posting a photo of an antique I can't live without. If so, I watch the clock until 10 am when most shops open and make a quick call. "How much? Yes. Perfect. Here is my charge card. I'll be in later today to pick it up." Lately, I wake up in the morning, fear at my heart, as I ask myself a simple question. "Did I buy anything online last night?" Like a drunk on a binge, I am out of control at 2 am, up on Etsy, clicking the 'put in your cart' button. I have a thing for jewelry with old tintypes of turn of the century people. "Dead People" I call the creations with photos dangling from chains of pea...

Ants In Your Pants Better Than Ants On Your Doughnut

Read With Caution - You May Never Eat Doughnuts Again (And yes, this is my second random thought today. But it had to be shared in the moment!)     My cup of instant Folgers's coffee, complete with Hazelnut creamer, and, an extra special treat, artificial sweetener, (do I love my poison, or what?) stared at me from my desk as I brought in my morning e-mails. Hungry, but too lazy to whip up bacon and a bagel, I remembered the box of doughnuts I purchased yesterday at Kroger. Nice, plump, chewy cake doughnuts. 4 to a box. $1 a box. I used restraint and only bought one box.   Lovingly looking at them late last night, I held off eating one. I knew once I ate one, the other three would follow. What a tasty little breakfast this will be , I thought as I swatted a sugar ant that crawled in my white porcelain sink. Knowing the ants were on a slow move back into my kitchen, I took the sealed box of doughnuts and safely put the box on top of the jar (also sealed) t...

Christmas Blues

  Lots of good things happening in my life, yet my heart is heavy. A sadness washes over me that I try to explain. To myself, mostly. Then I think, maybe it's that time of year, the holidays approaching. Or maybe my new blood pressure medicine is pulling me down. Then there is my hip that still gives me trouble after surgery a year and a half ago. So many excuses. Real or imagined? I am never sure what I think I am missing or what is causing my blues. I want that spark of joy, of hope, to rekindle. I want to set the world on fire, not the entire world, just my little space in it. In an hour, when I start my day and head out, I will feel the lightness of life around me filling me with hope. But, sitting at home, surrounded with my dogs that are the happiness gurus, I still feel that void.   My beautiful house needs more life in it, I tell myself. A huge dining room with eleven foot ceilings and a six foot farm table, await dinner guests I never invite. Friends would com...