Skip to main content

I Believe In Bacon



Not only do I believe in bacon, I believe in cute illustrations.
Here is one I borrowed from the web.
 
 
I didn't post here yesterday. Shame on me. Day three I took off doing other things early in the morning.  I had a date with a friend to head to Madison to visit a marvelous farm fresh restaurant and market, aptly named Farmview Market. Awesome sauce. We ate the most wonderful lunch and shopped around admiring all the local produce. Is there anything prettier than a round, fresh, plump off the vine, tomato? (Oh yes, the peanut butter pie!). I bought a few small home made soaps - lavender and oatmeal. Does it get any better? Our plans to continue on to an antique shop kept me from buying groceries that would fry in the stinkin' hot car while we lingered looking at treasures in air conditioning. Farmview Market is  twenty miles from my little cottage in Social Circle, a lovely drive on back roads (which I prefer over the expressway.) I plan on making a trip back for my next grocery shopping spree. We are pleased to stock high quality, locally sourced goods from trusted farmers and artisans. I think that phrase on their web page sums up their mission.
 
This morning I popped a bit of bacon in the microwave to munch with an English Muffin, topped with orange marmalade and sharp cheddar cheese. The muffin and cheese bring back memories of a visit to my sister and her husband last August. Their morning ritual, coffee and muffin with cheese. I stole the idea from them and smile as I eat. I like to pretend my sis is here chatting with me. The bacon? Who doesn't love bacon. That hint of meat in the morning pops my brain cells. And look, I am writing again on Day 4. (Note I will no longer add day numbers in my titles. You will have to check and see if I am consistent with my dates!)
 
Yes or no to bacon? Good or bad for you? Last night I read an article someone posted on Facebook, written in 2016, that horrified me on the quality of the food we stuff into our mouths. After reading it I came to three decisions:
 
1. I am eating bacon. (bacon was not addressed in the article but it seems the least offensive of choices available)
 
2. Hustle myself to buy organic, perhaps at Farmview Market, or closer to home where the grocery stores do feature local farmers goods.
 
3. I don't believe chips and salsa are falsely represented and will continue to be a mainstay of my diet.
 
All kidding aside, it is time to rethink food. I rarely cook, restaurants keep my tummy full (and bloated - but let's not go there). I am living in a rural community full of farmlands that roll on acre after acre, so why not take advantage of all the goodness around me?
 
Another shock this morning, that will change my soda habit, Coke Zero will stop being made next month. Coke will roll out another version of it  to grab more interest. Apparently everyone loved Coke Zero, but that did not give the dollar amounts Coke wanted. I am a soda freak and will have to rethink what I drink, too. Is this when I really take charge of my heath and turn to water, with ice, and lemon? Just watch where my water comes from, too. All is not what it seems.
 
Below are the links to Farmview and the two articles that may change my life. Slim me down. Finally make me fess up and take control of what I put in my body.  Stop stuffing food in without having a plan (other than my usual plan, I am gonna eat all that I see.)
 
If I liked alcohol, I could whine with wine. But, for me, I'll always have bacon and coffee.
 
 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm a Pizza

I've been missing on my new blog. The everyday posting thing hasn't worked out for me. But on the other hand, I have been working on a new novel. So it's coffee with Nigel the character in my story that takes flight. I also visit Facebook with my coffee. A stalker of other lives. Is there inspiration to be found? A favorite shop posting a photo of an antique I can't live without. If so, I watch the clock until 10 am when most shops open and make a quick call. "How much? Yes. Perfect. Here is my charge card. I'll be in later today to pick it up." Lately, I wake up in the morning, fear at my heart, as I ask myself a simple question. "Did I buy anything online last night?" Like a drunk on a binge, I am out of control at 2 am, up on Etsy, clicking the 'put in your cart' button. I have a thing for jewelry with old tintypes of turn of the century people. "Dead People" I call the creations with photos dangling from chains of pea...

Ants In Your Pants Better Than Ants On Your Doughnut

Read With Caution - You May Never Eat Doughnuts Again (And yes, this is my second random thought today. But it had to be shared in the moment!)     My cup of instant Folgers's coffee, complete with Hazelnut creamer, and, an extra special treat, artificial sweetener, (do I love my poison, or what?) stared at me from my desk as I brought in my morning e-mails. Hungry, but too lazy to whip up bacon and a bagel, I remembered the box of doughnuts I purchased yesterday at Kroger. Nice, plump, chewy cake doughnuts. 4 to a box. $1 a box. I used restraint and only bought one box.   Lovingly looking at them late last night, I held off eating one. I knew once I ate one, the other three would follow. What a tasty little breakfast this will be , I thought as I swatted a sugar ant that crawled in my white porcelain sink. Knowing the ants were on a slow move back into my kitchen, I took the sealed box of doughnuts and safely put the box on top of the jar (also sealed) t...

Christmas Blues

  Lots of good things happening in my life, yet my heart is heavy. A sadness washes over me that I try to explain. To myself, mostly. Then I think, maybe it's that time of year, the holidays approaching. Or maybe my new blood pressure medicine is pulling me down. Then there is my hip that still gives me trouble after surgery a year and a half ago. So many excuses. Real or imagined? I am never sure what I think I am missing or what is causing my blues. I want that spark of joy, of hope, to rekindle. I want to set the world on fire, not the entire world, just my little space in it. In an hour, when I start my day and head out, I will feel the lightness of life around me filling me with hope. But, sitting at home, surrounded with my dogs that are the happiness gurus, I still feel that void.   My beautiful house needs more life in it, I tell myself. A huge dining room with eleven foot ceilings and a six foot farm table, await dinner guests I never invite. Friends would com...